Friday, January 20, 2012

Taking risks

The first reading of yesterday’s liturgy was from 1 Sam 18: 6-9; 19: 1-7.  Saul, in his jealousy, planned to kill David.  God uses Saul’s son, Jonathan, to reason with him.  Like Jonathan, we, too, are sometimes challenged to stand up for others who are older than ourselves and/or “superior” to us by reason of their position, their age and/or education. Saul was Jonathan’s father. Jonathan did not confront him on his own power. It was the Truth and the Light within him.  It was also his respect for his father, Saul, for David and himself that guided him. Am I, one, that attuned to what is happening around me and, second, that willing, with God’s help, to risk standing up to evil?  Or do I turn the other way and 1) pretend not to see it, 2) tell myself “it’s none of my business,” 3) rant and rave about the situation to a third party and not directly confront the person whose actions need to be challenged? If I choose any of those three choices, how trusting am I of God’s direction and His power to overpower evil or God’s strength to transform my weaknesses and fears?  I find myself wanting in many ways! What about you?

 In today’s Scriptures, Saul and his army are on a rampage, seeking to kill David. They enter a cave where David and his army are hiding. Saul falls asleep and David, having pity on him, spares him his life.  Both David and Saul were saved from Satan that day: David from Saul’s evil ways and Saul from his own jealousy and evil intent.  From who or what am I being saved? From what or from whom is God protecting me? How is God using me to protect others from evil?

No comments:

Post a Comment