Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Being Jesus' brother or sister or mother

Today is the feast of St. Francis De Sales, a very timid man by nature.  He states that he was the youngest in his family, had very little self-confidence, wanted to live unnoticed and follow his natural inclinations to withdraw into shyness.  All of these aspirations, he cautions, are not from the spirit but are natural, human weaknesses. We were baptized and given a spirit of power, of courage, not the dispositions of a coward.  Every day we are faced with following the spirit, doing and thinking as God does rather than  following our natural inclinations and/or our ego self.  My natural self wants to retaliate when  wronged, so do dogs and cats and other animals. The spiritual self is invited to respond to evil with good, to egocentric behaviors  with  altruism, to pompous deeds with humility.  My natural self wants to attack others when I am confronted with what has been perceived as a wrongdoing or an inappropriate behavior. The spiritual self is encouraged to respond out of humility and listen to how the other perceives my actions, even when I believe that what I have said or done is being misinterpreted. When another makes a selfish choice that grates on my nerves, my natural self wants to treat him/her with like behaviors, responding sarcastically and/or acting as unkindly  as has this person has. Jesus says to us in today’s Gospel, Mk 3: 31-35, that “whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.”   I have the choice of continuing to act with kindness and unselfishness, acting as Christ would versus being unchristian, that is,  doing the will of my Father and measuring up to being Jesus’ sister/brother.  Doing so is difficult but not impossible because we are armed with the power of the Spirit, the love that binds the three persons of the Blessed Trinity into one God. I have a spirit self and an ego self; the two become one when I am doing the will of my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment