Monday, March 30, 2020

The Challenge of Living Lives of Integrity

In today's first reading, Daniel 13: 1-9, 15-17, 19=30-, 33-62, we are presented with the story of the wicked judges who had a history of  unjustly accusing women of adultery and having them executed for this crime. These wicked men would trap a woman and accuse her of committing adultery unless she allowed them to have sex with them. Susanna,a "beautiful and God- fearing woman", found herself in that situation. Her husband, a wealthy man , owned a garden. "Susanna used to enter her husband's garden for a walk. When the old men saw her enter every day for her walk, they began to lust for her. They suppressed their consciences; they would not allow their eyes to look to heaven, and did not keep in mind just judgments."   They gave into their evil desires and said to Susanna: "Look, the garden doors are shut, and no one can see us; give in to our desire, and lie with us. If you refuse, we will testify against you that you dismissed her maids because a young man was here with you."   Susanna did not yield to these wicked men. As threatened, the wicked men brought Susanna before the court and leveled an unjust accusation of adultery against her and condemned her to death.  As she was being led out of the court to be executed, God raised up a young man by the name of Daniel to defend her and confront these wicked men with their crimes of "passing unjust sentences, condemning the innocent, and freeing the guilty...."  Both men committed perjury that day and were given the sentence they passed on Susanna. They were executed and Susanna saved.

The questions each of us faces is:  Have I, over time, suppressed my conscience and avoided looking to heaven, not keeping the Law of God before my eyes even in small things like lying, cheating, stealing, lusting or whatever wrongful pleasure I may have been entertaining? Have I said to myself  when being tempted to give in to temptation:  "Don't worry!  It's only a small matter"? Like the wicked judges who were in positions of power and prestige, have I allowed an exalted status to sweep me away down a path that is contrary to what God expects of me?

Who am I in this passage: Susanna who does not give into wickedness--have I stood my grounds in the face of evil? Susanna, who calls upon God to come to her aid--do I seek God's help when I feel trapped? The wicked men who unjustly accused Susanna--have I unjustly accused others? Daniel who God raised up to confront these wicked men--has God called me to confront evil?


No comments:

Post a Comment