Tuesday, March 17, 2020

A Sacrifice Offered to God Every Day: The Body and Blood of Jesus in the Consecrated Bread

In today's first reading, Daniel 3: 25, 34-43,  the Israelites say to the Lord that they "are reduced ...beyond any other nation, brought low everywhere in the world this day because of [their] sins." And that they "have in [their] day no prince, prophet, or leader, no burnt offering, sacrifice, oblation, or incense, no place to offer first fruits, to find favor with you. But with contrite heart and humble spirit let us be received," Israel prays, "as though it were burnt offerings of rams and bullocks, or thousands of fat lambs, so let our sacrifice be in your presence today, as we follow you unreservedly; for those who trust in you cannot be put to shame." 

What was true then in terms of being brought low everywhere in the world because of our sins is true today. Fortunately, today we do have a sacrifice to offer to the Lord in atonement for our sins and that is Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, which is offered at every Catholic Mass in response to Jesus' request: "Do this in memory of me," as we hold up the consecrated Host, the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ!

All the way back to the apostles, priests today are consecrated to the Lord and, by virtue of their ordination to the Catholic priesthood, continue doing what Jesus asks the first apostles to do at the Last Supper, the first Eucharist, when Jesus offered bread and wine to them and said: "Take and eat; this is my body which will be offered up for you" and "take and drink; this is the cup of my blood poured out for you. Do this in memory of me."

Thank you, Lord, for giving me this faith and sustaining me in the faith handed down to me from my parents and grandparents.  Thank you, Lord, for feeding me with this Bread of Life and Blood of the New Covenant at every Mass, transforming me into Christ, that, purified and strengthened by this heavenly food,  I can, in turn, be Christ to those I serve throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment