Thursday, March 12, 2020

Blessed Are Those Who Trust in the Lord

In today's first reading, Jeremiah 17:5-10, the Lord says to us through the prophet: we pray: "Blessed is the [person] who trust in the Lord, whose hope is the Lord. [That person] is like a tree planted beside the waters that stretches out its roots to the stream: It fears not the heat when it comes, its leaves stay green; In the year of drought it shows no distress, but still bears fruit...."  Those who trust rather in human beings or who put their trust in the flesh, "whose heart turns away from the Lord" is cursed, not blessed.

Those are strong words from the Lord but are they not true? How can there be any blessing coming to me when I turn away from the Lord? I then enter a desert, a parched land, and become distressed and anxious!  On the contrary when I turn to the Lord, seek His face, call upon Him for the help I need to meet the difficulties of the day, to get through the rough times, to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit, I then am unafraid. Why? I then realize that the Lord takes me by the right hand, leads me to right choices, and gives success to the work of my hands. I then bear fruit. I then stay "green," that is hopeful and experience the goodness and the kindness of the Lord!

1 comment:

  1. The anxious, troubled world we live in presses in on all of us. What a comfort to know the Lord holds us in his everlasting arms. Such a blessing to know he's guiding our footsteps, knows how many hairs are on each one's head, writes our name in his book....wonderful assurances.

    ReplyDelete