Saturday, February 8, 2020

Needing God's Assistance Doing What is Right in God's Eyes

In today's first reading, 1 Kings 3: 4-13, God says to Solomon, who succeeded his father King David, as king of Israel: "Ask something of me and I will give it to you."  God says the same thing to you and to me. What will you, will I, ask of the Lord?

In responding to God's question, Solomon first  acknowledged the many blessings God had given to his father King David and then says to God:  "O Lord, my God, you have made me, your servant, king to succeed my father David; but I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act....Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong. For who is able to govern this vast people of yours?"

May the Lord, our God, give you, and me,  an understanding heart to distinguish right from wrong and to judge rightly the people whom God asks us to lead to His Son Jesus.   May we, like King Solomon, recognize the blessings given to our ancestors but also realize that there are times when we do not know how to act and need God's help in  upholding Gospel values. Without God's help, we will do poorly and are likely to choose that which is wrong in the sight of God but seen as right in the eyes of men/women caught up in our country's moral decay.   

Forgive us, Lord, when we stray from the right path and make choices that are wrong in Your eyes but appear right in the eyes of those abandoning Christian values and morals according to the Gospel of your Son, Jesus Christ. May we turn back to you and repent of wrongdoing and recognize our need for Your help to do good and avoid evil. I ask this in Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment