Friday, November 25, 2016

Words of the psalmist (Ps. 49)

Today, I was deeply moved by Psalm 49, which priests and religious prayed in the Divine Office.  This psalm speaks to me of realities in the forefront of the news of today here in the U.S. of A.  The psalmist prays:

“Hear this! Listen, all people, everywhere,
both great and small alike, rich and poor together.

“My heart is full of insight; I will speak words of wisdom.
I will turn my attention to a proverb and unravel its meaning as I play the harp.

I am not afraid in times of danger, when I am surrounded by wicked enemies--
those who trust in their riches and boast of their great wealth.

People can never redeem themselves, cannot pay God the price for their ransom,
because the payment for their life is too great.

What they can pay will never be enough to keep them from destruction,
to let them live forever.

They see that even the wise dies, as well as the foolish and senseless.
They leave their riches to others.

Their tombs are their homes forever;
There they stay for all time—even though they once had lands of their own.

Don’t be afraid when people become rich,
when their wealth grows even greater.

They cannot take it with them when they die;
Their wealth will not go down to the grave with them.

Even if they are satisfied with this life
and are praised because they are successful (according to human standards),
They will join all their ancestors in death,
where the darkness lasts forever.

Riches cannot keep them from death; they will die like the beast of the field.”

How do the words of the psalmist touch you? What phrases stand out for you? Pay attention, as that is where the Spirit is speaking to your heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment