Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Genuine Prayer: Its Honesty, Humility and Trust

In today’s first reading, Job 3: 1-3, 11-17, 20-23, Job curses the day that he was born, saying: “Perish the day on which I was born, the night when they said, ‘The child is a boy!’ Why did I not perish at birth, come forth from the womb and expire? Or why was I not buried away like an untimely  birth, like babes that have never seen the light?  Wherefore did the knees receive me? Or why did I suck at the breasts.”  The Psalmist, in today’s responsorial psalm, prays: “O Lord, my God, by day I cry out; at night I clamor in your presence. Let my prayer come before you; incline your ear to my call for help.”  In the Gospel, Luke 9: 51-56, James and John ask the Lord whether He wants them to call down fire on a village that does not allow them to enter. Jesus’ response to their petition is “No!” And they move on to another village.
T

Both James and John and Job honestly share their feelings--their frustrations, anger, and grief-- and thoughts with the Lord in prayer. We, too, are encouraged to be honest with the Lord when we pray, to cover up nothing.  We may get a “yes” or a “no.” The important characteristics of genuine prayer (communication with God)  are honesty, humility and trust. Jesus also teaches us this, especially in His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane when He cries out to the Lord: “Abba, Father! For you everything is possible. Take this cup away from me. But let it be as you, not I, would have it.'" (Mark 124:36); and again on the cross when He agonizingly prays:   “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me” (Mark 15: 34)?

What characterizes your communication with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment