Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Being a Stream in the Hand of the Lord

The first verse of today’s reading, Proverbs 22: 1-6, 10-13, reads: “Like a stream is the king’s heart in the hand of the Lord; wherever it pleases him, he directs it.”  Obedience! Surrender Trust! In today’s Gospel, Luke 8: 19-21, Jesus speaks of these virtues by saying:  “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.” What a tribute to His Mother, who was obedience to the Word of God and acted upon it.  She allowed God to direct her life however it pleased Him to do so!  In every encounter with God, Mary pondered God’s messages and actions!


What about you and me? Does the Solomon’s wisdom apply to us? Are we like “a stream…in the hand of the Lord” in that “wherever it pleases” God, God directs us? Are you, am I even aware of God’s directions in our lives  each day? Do you, do  I take time at the end of the day to reflect upon ways in which you/I allowed or resisted the directions of the Holy Spirit throughout the day?  Would Jesus say of you/me: “My mother and my brothers [and sisters] are those who hear the word of God and act on it”?

No comments:

Post a Comment