Thursday, October 30, 2014

Arming myself for Battle against Evil

In today's first reading, Ephesians 6: 10-20, Paul asks us to put on the armor of God, to gird ourselves with truth, to shield ourselves with faith.  We are at  battle, not with "flesh and blood," but with "the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens."  Satan sets traps for me that I can easily fall into without realizing that Satan strategizes all of the time to catch me off guard. That is why, in my case, it is so important to begin my day in prayer.  I am still vulnerable to fall  but I am also more likely to be alert.  The Word of God, Paul states, is "the sword of the Spirit," needed to "slay" Satan.  Do I take the time each  day to arm myself with the Word of God? If not, why not?  With the Word of God, I will, in Paul's world" be more likely to "resist on the evil day," and be able "to hold...[my  ground] of building God's Kingdom, a Kingdom of love. I will, more likely, be a means of reconciliation, of union, versus being divisive, disruptive, and selfish.


No comments:

Post a Comment