Monday, September 22, 2014

Let Your Light Shine



Today’s Scripture readings, Proverbs 3: 27-34, Psalm 15, and Luke 8: 16-18, all speaks of the awesome beauty of the one who becomes what God intends of us: men and women of character, men and women who radiate the wisdom and the goodness of one’s Creator. In the Gospel, Jesus says, in effect, let you light shine so as to give glory to My Father and yours.  Proverbs spells out some behavioral details of what allows the Light of God to shine forth in us: doing good for another, the good to which another has a right, when it is within our power to do so and not throw the opportunity aside with “I’ll do it tomorrow.” And tomorrow never comes.  Proverbs also speaks to us of not quarreling with another person for no reason, not envying the wicked, not plotting evil against another person but living a humble, obedient life.  

Am I willing to allow the Lord to be my Master and my Teacher? Am I truly willing to be mastered, to be taught by the One who was obedient to His Father unto death? What, in me, blocks the mercy of God from flowing through me? What blocks God’s friendship from taking possession of me, God’s kindness from filling all of my days? What, in the words of the psalm, keeps me from living on God’s holy mountain, where I walk “blamelessly,” do “justice,” and think “the truth” in my heart; in short, putting the lamp on a lampstand so others, too, find their way to the Lord? Have I become my own Lord and Master, defying the Lord’s Ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment