Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Standing firm in my faith


In today’s first reading, Daniel 3: 14-20, 91-92, 95, we read of the heroic testimony of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who refuse to worship  King Nebuchadnezzar’s  false god, a golden statue.  Death or life is put before these three men and they choose life. “We have no need to defend ourselves before you,” they tell the king.   “If our God, whom we serve, will save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us! But even if he will not, know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue that you set up.”
What faith! What courage! Nothing will deter these brothers from remaining faithful to their God-- the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of their ancestors.

Do I stand up to the “Nebuchadnezzar’s” in my life? Do I have the courage to do what is right and just no matter what the consequences? If those consequences are costly, do I still hold firm to what I believe? Maybe I will lose some friends. Maybe I will be left standing with no one taking my side. Maybe I will be denied a promotion, be slandered, put down, ridiculed. Maybe even my family will reject me for my faith in the one true God and in Jesus Christ, my Savior.
Lord, I pray for the faith and courage of Meshach, Shadrach, and Abednego.  May I stand firm in the faith that my parents handed down to me, even when those around me scoff at my beliefs or challenge me to abandon my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment