Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Born Anew in the Spirit, in the Transcendent, Holy One


In today’s  Gospel, John 3: 7b-15, Jesus says to Nicodemus and to us: “You must be born from above.”   He also reminds us that “just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.” What does it mean that you and I must be born from above? For me, that means that everything--all of my activities, all my relationships, the challenges and difficulties of any given day, the joys and exciting moments of a day, the disappointments and moments of sadness--has both an earthy reality and a transcendent one.  I can meet God or ignore God in any of my experiences. If I am genuinely seeking God and if let God find me in each of the day’s events, if I look upon Him whom they have pierced, repent and believe,  I will “be born from above,”  that is, I will be transformed into Christ’s way of seeing things, Christ’s way of dealing with difficult situations, Christ's way of loving and forgiving.  What I need to work at is training myself to look for God above all else.  When I troubled about my behavior or about anything, I need to take those experiences to the Lord in prayer, seeking His counsel and asking for His help. Yes, I need to bare by soul to the Lord.   When I recognize  my need my need to help and for mercy, I then open my being to being "born from above." Earth and heaven then touch each other. That which is below and that which is above meet in a humble embrace of love in those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment