Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Trusting against formidable odds

In today's first reading, Numbers 13: 1-2, 25-14:1, 26-29a, 34-35,  we read about the Israelites' preparing to enter the Land promised to them by the Lord, the land of Canaan, a land flowing with milk and honey.  The Lord instructs Moses to "send men to reconnoiter the land of Canaan….” The men reconnoiter the land for forty days and, indeed, discover that it is flowing with milk and honey. It is also populated by giants and people who are considered "fierce."   The towns are also well fortified and very strong. 
The reconnoiters return to report to Moses and Aaron. Some of the men spread disparaging words, discouraging the people from even thinking a victory is possible. As far as they are concerned, the answer to "Should we advance forward" is a no brainer.  Caleb, on the other hand, tells Moses and the people: "We ought to go up and seize the land, for we can certainly do so." The persons spreading "bad" news outshout Caleb:  "The land that we explored is a country that consumes its inhabitants. And all the people we saw there are huge, veritable giants..."  They would rather die in the desert than enter the land of Canaan.  And that is what happens.  This generation of people does not enter the Promised Land; their descendents do. "Forty days you spent in scouting the land; forty years shall you suffer for your crimes: one year for each day. Thus you will realize what it means to oppose me. I, the Lord, have sworn to do this to all this wicked assembly that conspired against me: here in the desert they shall die to the last man."
Who am I in this story? 
·         When I or others are faced with a challenge, am I like the princes who reconnoiter the land and return with a disparaging report, spreading despair, convinced that what God is asking of me/of us is impossible?
·         When I or others have surveyed the challenge and truly see what the Lord wants of me/of us, am I like Caleb, confident that the task is possible? Do I spread hope among the people?
·         When I or others have gathered all the facts of what it will take to accomplish what God is asking, am I a part of the assembly wailing against it and wonder why anyone would expect this of me/us?
The Phoenician woman in today’s Gospel, Mt 15: 21-28, gives us an example of complete trust in Jesus! In all humility and with deep faith, she persists in seeking Jesus’ help. He tells her that He “was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” “Help me,” she says.  “It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs,” is His response. The woman does not flinch but comes back with: Jesus, “even the dogs eat of the scraps that fall from the table of their master.” Jesus sees her faith. In the midst of what could have been perceived as formidable odds and thus the petitioner walking away, the Phoenician woman hangs in there and her daughter is healed, she tastes “The Promises” of the Lord.
What about you and me when we encounter difficulties in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment