Friday, August 2, 2013

Openness to Jesus as He Reveals Himself in the Now of My Life


In today’s Gospel, Mt. 13, 54-58, Jesus is visiting his hometown.  How sad it was for Him that they had no faith in Him. “Who is this man?” they asked. “We know him as the son of Joseph and Mary, ordinary people. His father was a carpenter. We know his brothers and sisters! Where does he get his wisdom? And those might deeds?”    We can experience disillusionment from the good or the bad another does.  We can dismiss a person by our knowledge of his/her past.  “Good from that person? Wisdom coming out his//her mouth?”  “She/he’s presenting at the parish tonight?  No way!  I’m not attending that!” 

Jesus, sadly, leaves that place, not working “mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.”  How many events and/or encounters by which God gives me the opportunity to experience His Wisdom and His mighty deeds in my life do I miss because of my lack of faith, my preconceived ideas, my prejudices, my “know-it-all” attitudes, my clinging to past experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment