Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Power of Binding or Loosening

In today’s Gospel, Mt. 18: 15-20, Jesus says to us: “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” We may think that Jesus is talking about the power given to a priest to forgive sins. However, binding or freeing is a power given to each one of us. People can be bound for a significant amount of time because I am holding a grudge against them or thinking negative thoughts about them. I can also hold myself bound by putting myself down, telling myself that “I am stupid,” that “I am a failure,” that “I do nothing right,” that I am forever nagging or critical, forever making mistakes, and so on. I can also loosen the bonds I place upon myself and others. When I replace my negative thinking with positive thoughts, when I think kind thoughts of others and of myself, I radiate positive energy. I am then empowering them and myself to soar toward the greatness of which we are capable. I am then setting them and myself free to accomplish the things we are capable of doing to make this world a better place. Who am I going to set free today? Am I willing to “loosen” the bonds by which I hold myself hostage? Will I live “in the current/wind/fire of radiating possibilities” today and connect with others in this way, instead of focusing on what’s wrong and assuming the role of critic? When negative thoughts enter my consciousness today, will I entertain them or simply thank them for showing up and then move on to following my dreams of making a difference, contributing and making happen what I want to make happen today?

No comments:

Post a Comment