Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Walking with "Lady Wisdom"


Wisdom, Sirach tells us in the first reading of today’s liturgy, “walks with…[us] as a stranger and at first …puts …[us] to the test. Fear and dread she brings upon…[us] and tries…[us] with her discipline” (Sirach 4: 11-19).

The choices that take us into Wisdom’s abode are challenging ones.  One of the reflections I pondered during my morning’s meditation made the comment that “Sirach compares ‘Lady Wisdom’ to a teacher who is more concerned about teaching us valuable lessons and less concerned about being our friend. She teaches us that the way of wisdom is not always an easy road. Sometimes, in fact, it’s a narrow, rocky, even dangerous path (Mt. 7:14),” as it was for Jesus (The Word Among Us, I May 2013, p. 41).

The ever-present temptation is to choose being popular or being another person’s friend or to blend in with the crowd at the expense of embracing Wisdom,  disciplining ourselves in her ways, embracing opportunities to teach valuable lessons that lead to oneness with our Savior Jesus Christ.  Jesus teaches us the Way. His mission was to be obedient to the Father’s will by teaching wisdom to all who would listen.  He will teach you and me to do the same.  And if we ask for the grace to choose Wisdom’s way, He will give it to us, as He promises in Jn 14:13:  “…ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”

May we have the courage to 1) ask and 2) to follow through, disciplining ourselves to follow in obedience to God’s holy will.

No comments:

Post a Comment