Monday, May 20, 2013

Relying on Jesus' Power to Overcome Evil


In today’s Gospel, Mk 9: 14-29,  the disciples are perplexed that they were unable to cast out an evil spirit that had possessed a boy since his childhood, throwing him into convulsions, causing him to foam at the mouth and at times practically tossing him into water or into fire to kill him. The boy’s father is frantic that the disciples were of no help and says to Jesus: “If you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”  Jesus, exasperated by the statement “If you can,” shouts back: “What do you mean, ‘if I can’. Haven’t I been with you long enough, haven’t you seen the work I do, that you question whether I am capable to casting out Satan?”  The man is just as frustrated and says to Jesus, “Lord, I do believe; help my unbelief!” And Jesus takes over the situation and commands Satan to leave and never, never take possession of the boy again.

Many times, you and I need to be brought that low in realizing our powerlessness, our dependency upon the Lord, that there is nothing we can do to change a horrible situation, a situation out of our control. Until we recognize this, we are likely to keep trying things that do not work.  Stripped bare, we fall on our knees and beg God to help us. God never refuses those who believe that God is God and there is no other.   “Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If  you ask Me anything I My name, I will do it” (Jn 14: 13-14).   

Who am I in this Gospel story: the man who is interceding for his son? The son who is out of control of his life? The disciples who are unable to make a difference in this situation? Whoever I am, what is God asking of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment