Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gifts for the Most High


In today’s first reading, Sirach 35: 1-12 we are encouraged to offer sacrifices of praise to the Lord in the form of helping our neighbor, doing acts of justice, and giving alms.  “…be not sparing of freewill gifts,” Sirach says to us.  “Give to the Most High as…[God] has given to you, generously, according to your means.”

 As I reflected upon this passage in my morning meditation, I was touched by the example of parents everywhere, giving generously of their time and gifts to their children, not sparing anything for the welfare of those God entrusted to their care.  Every act of kindness to another, no matter how small it might be, is a sacrifice of praise offered to the Lord. Sirach reminds us that “the just one’s sacrifice is most pleasing, nor will it ever be forgotten” by God.  “With each contribution,” even a smile given to a neighbor, a diaper changed on an infant, a bandage put on the scraped knee of a youngster or whatever, “show a cheerful countenance, and pay your tithes (not necessarily money) in a spirit of joy.”  All of us witness that kind of generosity every day.  All of us, too, can recall the “sacrifices of praise” given to us by our own parents. Yesterday we commemorated the men and women who served our country. Their service, their sacrifices,  were/are pleasing to the Lord and will never be forgotten.  “For the Lord,” Sirach reminds us, “is one who always repays and…[God] will give back to you sevenfold…For …[God] is a God of justice…”

You and I are called by our baptism to follow God’s example given to us in Christ Jesus, who did not spare anything for our welfare. What am I going to give unsparingly today for the well-being of another in my family, in my workplace, in my religious community? And what am I willing to give unsparingly to myself for my own well-being, so that I truly enhance my ability to be generous in my service to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment