Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jesus' Gentle but Profound Reminder


Today’s reading may, at first glance, be experienced as repulsive. How can Jesus say, I asked, if you sin with an eye, gouge it out. If your hand or foot causes you to sin, chop it off. “Better to go to Gehenna maimed than with both hands and feet and eyes.”  Granted,  Jesus is overstating a point because sin is a serious offence against God. An insult, in fact! God came to earth, assumed human nature, subjected Himself to humankind’s inhumanity toward each other in order to save us from sin and all of its effects.  How is it that I could possibly take sin lightly!

As I ponder both the first reading, Sirach 5: 1-8, and the Gospel, Mk 9: 41-50, the following prayer surfaced from the depth of my being:

Lord, how easy to use my ears to listen to gossip, my lips and tongue to spread gossip, my feet to walk away from a beggar, my hands to withhold that which would ease the pain of another, my eyes to look away from a desperate person hoping for mercy  May that not be so today and less and less so as time for me progresses toward eternal life. I want to see as You see, hear as You hear, speak as You speak, use my hands and feet as You used Yours to heal people and to approach people as one who cares about and for them, as persons who are my sister and brother in Christ Jesus.

Lord, forgive me when I used my hands, feet, eyes, ears and any other of my senses in selfish, sinful ways. Transform me, Lord into a vessel of grace this day and every day.

The Lord then reminded me that God saves, God heals, God sanctifies, God makes us whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment