Friday, February 24, 2012

TheSpiritual Practices and the Franciscan Spirituality of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother

 Our newest members were asked how the spiritual practices and the Franciscan Spirituality has affected their lives as a new member of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother. Here is the answer given by  Sister Gillian Marie Jerome, who made first vows in March 2009 and now serves as Coordinator of Youth Ministry for the Diocese of St. Georges in Grenada, West Indies:

Many different parts of our Franciscan heritage inspire me, but the one that speaks to me the most, is the simple Prayer of St. Francis… “Lord, make me an instrument….”  In the past I simply mouthed those words; now I pray the prayer more consciously. I realize that in that prayer lies the fullness of the ‘Kingdom of God’ to which I am called to contribute to make a present realty.  Hence, to the measure that I am at peace is the same measure that I give to the world….A Franciscan way of living, therefore, calls me into right relationship with God, self, creation and others, and I cannot think of a better way to do this, than to be in right relationship with myself. It is a challenge, yet it is possible.  My prayer is that as a Sister of the Sorrowful Mother I will continue to strive to live simply and consciously, with a deeper love and respect for others, so that my example may speak for itself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment