Sunday, April 25, 2021

Jesus, Our Good Shepherd!

 Jesus  reveals himself in today's Gospel, John 10:11-18, as our good shepherd, saying: "I  AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD."  He then goes on to describe the qualities of a good shepherd, telling us that a "good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep....I know [my sheep and they] know me, just as the the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep....I lay down my life in order to take it up again." This power, Jesus tells us, he received as a command from His Father.

A good shepherd watches his flock carefully, looking for any danger that may be lurking in the area.  He also carefully watches each sheep, lest it stray from the herd and put itself in danger. So, too, does Jesus do so for us.  Jesus knows when we have strayed off the path that leads to eternal life. He knows when we have put ourselves in dangerous situations. He watches and brings us back to the Way, the Truth and the Life, that He is!  As our Good shepherd, Jesus offered His life for our redemption, pouring forth His blood upon the cross to give us eternal life with Him in heaven.  No greater love than this does anyone have for another except God for each one of us individually!


No comments:

Post a Comment