Saturday, April 10, 2021

In Jesus' Name

 In today's first reading, Acts 4: 13-21, the leaders, elders, and scribes are amazed at Peter and John's boldness in speaking in the name of Jesus. Everyone was aware that the man standing with Peter and John had been healed in the name of Jesus, which Peter and John preached.  Not long prior to this incident the apostles hid from the Jews, locking themselves in rooms out of fear of being put to death. Here they are no longer afraid of being seen as companions of Jesus. In today's Gospel, Mark 16: 9-15,  people who report seeing the Risen Jesus are not believed, much less do people voice amazement at Jesus' risen presence and continued healing of the sick through intermediaries.

Jesus, Paul tells us, is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow!  Do I believe? Am I proud and unafraid of being recognized as a companion of Jesus, Jesus' friend?  Is my faith as strong as Peter and John's that I, like them, heal others through my preaching in the name of the Lord or my witnessing to Jesus' presence in my life and the life of other believers?  On the contrary,  am I afraid to be recognized as a companion of Jesus? If so,  of what am I afraid?   Do I hesitate to call upon the Lord's name for the healing of the sick? If so,  what is stopping me from doing so?



No comments:

Post a Comment