Monday, November 16, 2020

What do you want of Jesus?

 In today's gospel, Luke 18: 35-43, a blind man is sitting by the roadside.  He hears a big commotion and asked what is going on. He is told that Jesus of Nazareth is passing by. The blind man yells out: "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me."  The crowd is annoyed and tells the blind man to shut up!  The more they rebuke him, the more he screams: "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"  He gets Jesus' attention. Jesus stops and asks that the blind man be brought to him. When he approaches Jesus, Jesus asks him: "What do  you want me to do for you?"  And the blind man says: ""Lord, please let me see." Jesus replies:  "Have sight; your faith has saved you."   Immediately, the man can see and begins glorifying God. The crowd, as well, praises God.

Who am I in this story? The man who is physically blind? A person who is spiritually blind?  A member of the crowd who finds the blind man so annoying that I want to shut him up? A member of the crowd who is so embarrassed by the handicapped man that I want  him silenced? Am I someone who is closely following Jesus, wanting to hear His every word and touch the hem of His garment, so as to be healed? Am I Jesus, one who wants the blind and the lame and the crippled person to be healed, respected and given the assistance he/she needs?

And finally, what do I want of Jesus?




No comments:

Post a Comment