Wednesday, April 8, 2020

"Surely , it is not I" or Is it?

In the Gospel Acclamation of today's liturgy, we pray:  "Hail to you, our King: you alone are compassionate with our errors."    We witness this compassion in today's Gospel,in which Jesus reclines at table, celebrating the Passover meal with both his betrayer and the one who would later that night deny Him vehemently three times!  Jesus is cognizant of both men's future behavior and  He says to the Twelve: "Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me."  A shock wave goes through the room and each of the twelve in turn asks Jesus: "Surely it is not I, Lord?"  Even Judas poses that question to Jesus! Jesus simply, caringly and lovingly responds to him, saying:  "You have said so!" Perhaps Jesus is hoping that Judas will repent of his plan.

Imagine yourself sitting at this banquet, one of these especially chosen persons very close and dear to Jesus. You hear the One you love, the One you have followed closely for three years, the One from whom you have learned so much about love and truth and justice say: "One of you is going to betray me tonight to those who are seeking to kill me. Yes, one of you is going to hand me over to these evil men. I will then be arrested, condemned and put to death by way of crucifixion!"  Unbelievable but the truth!  One of the twelve men whom Jesus chose to carry on His mission when He returns to the Father will abandon Him to men jealous of His popularity, threatened by the increase of followers who cling to His every word and believe in Him as the Messiah.

That betrayer is you and me when we choose sin over righteousness, lies over the truth, hatred over love, a corrupt way of living over doing what is good and right,  a promiscuous lifestyle over a disciplined way of living as Jesus lived!

And how often have we not said to the person who catches us in sin, as Judas said to Jesus: "Surely it is not I...?"


No comments:

Post a Comment