Saturday, July 27, 2019

The New Covenant Sealed by Jesus' Total Gift of Self on the Cross

In today's first reading, Exodus 24:3-8, after Moses gave the people the ten commandments, the people promised that they would "do everything that the Lord told us."  Moses ratified the people's covenant by sprinkling them with the blood of young bulls that were sacrificed to the Lord. As he sprinkled the blood upon the people, Moses said:  "This is the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words of his."

At every Catholic Mass, the priest says, at the consecration,  may "..the Holy Spirit graciously sanctify these offerings (bread and wine) that they may become the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ for the celebration of this great mystery, which he left us as an eternal covenant."   Each of us, then, in Holy Communion, consume the Body and Blood of Jesus. Jesus' blood mingles with our blood in our body. We are not simply sprinkled with Jesus' blood. No, we consume it and say, in the Memorial Acclamation:  "When we eat this Bread and drink this Cup, we proclaim your Death, O Lord, until you come."  We acknowledge the New Covenant sealed for us in Jesus' death and resurrection and, ultimately, ours as well!  God offers us the free gift of salvation--He held nothing back that we would come to know our union and God and embrace being disciples of the Lord according to His Word. In Holy Communion, we gratefully accept God's total gift of Himself for our salvation. Likewise, we promise to "do everything that the Lord told us" in the sacred reading of the Liturgy of the Word, which precedes the Liturgy of the Eucharist at every Catholic Mass.

Let us, with Mary, Jesus' Mother, pray, as she did in the Magnificat: 

"My being proclaims your greatness,
and my spirit finds joy in you, God my Savior.

For you have looked upon me, your servant, in my lowliness;
all ages to come shall call me blessed.

God, you who are mighty, have done great things for me," in sharing your Body and Blood with me as the New Covenant. "Holy is your name."

In this holy sacrament of the Eucharist, you have "raised the lowly to high places."

Thank you, Lord, for having handed down this faith to me from my parents! I pray that my faith in the Eucharist grows ever more stronger!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment