Monday, July 29, 2019

Let God be God!

In today's first reading, Exodus 32: 15-24, 30-34, Moses comes down from the mountain after an extended period of time in prayer--so long that the people believed  that they would  never see Moses again. They lost faith in the true God and made a God-substitute, a golden calf which they worshipped as God. When Moses returns from prayer carrying the two tablets of the commandments, "tablets that were made by God," and hears the people "cries of revelry," he is incensed with anger. He throws down the two tablets, shattering them into pieces.  Moses says to the people: "You have committed a gave sin. I will go up to the Lord, then; perhaps I may be able to make atonement for you sins."   Moses returns to the mountain of God and says to the Lord: "Ah, this people has indeed committed a grave sin in  making a god of gold for themselves. If you would only forgive their sin!  If you will not, then strike me out of the book that you  have written."  The Lord answers, "Him only who has sinned against me will I strike out of my book. Now, go and lead the people to the place I  have told  you. My angel will go before you. When it is time for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin."

Let God be God is the lesson God teaches Moses.  God asserts His authority in no uncertain terms when he says to Moses:  Him only who has sinned against me will I strike out of my book. Now, go and lead the people to the place I have told you. My angel will go before you. When it is time for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin."  

Are you, am I telling God what to do, who to strike down, who to punish, who to strike "out of the book [God] has written?  God says to us very sternly:  "Mind your own business!  Go do what I am asking of you--lead people to Me, to the heavenly Kingdom, by just and righteous deeds, by your love and service of others. Go and do as I ask of you! Stop concerning yourself about those whom you think deserve My justice!  I am God; there is no other. I am judge, not you!" If you or I  judge others, St. James tells us, we are no observer of the Law but it's judge. That position belongs only to God and not to  you or me (See James 4:11).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment