Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Revealing God to the World

In today's first reading, 1 John 2: 29-3:6, St. John says to us: "If you consider that God is righteous--and He is--you also know that everyone who acts in righteousness is begotten by him." John, then, says: "See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God....Beloved, we are God's children; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when  it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him, makes himself 
pure, as he is pure."

 Every time we act righteously, justly, and walk humbly with our God (compare Micah 6:8),  we give "birth" to God in our world.  God is reincarnated in our righteousness, our justice, our purity, our humility, our reverence of self and others. And like John the Baptist, in today's Gospel, John 1: 29-34,  we will recognize God in our midst. John says to us: "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world....I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain with him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."

John recognized Jesus! John saw the Spirit come down upon Jesus at His baptism and remain with Him! That same Spirit came down upon us at our baptisms! Has that Spirit not remained with us? I believe He has and that the Spirit of God, the third person of the Blessed Trinity,  desires to open our eyes, as He did John the Baptist's, to God's presence among us. John,  recognizing Jesus, says to us: "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world! He is the one of whom I said, 'A man coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.' I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel."

Why were you and I sent into this world, into our jobs/ministries, to build the relationships we have built? Why are you and I doing what we are doing? Is it not to make Jesus known in the world of our day by the way we live and what we say or withhold from saying? St. Francis of Assisi says to us: "Preach the Gospel and, if necessary, use words."

No comments:

Post a Comment