Thursday, August 4, 2016

God's Promises and Deep Concern

In today’s first reading, Jeremiah 31: 31-34, the Lord says to the Chosen People, “The days are coming…when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers:  the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they broke my covenant, and I had to show myself their master, says the Lord.”


Has the day come when the Lord, our God, has to show Himself the master of the U.S. and of the world? What will it take for us to realize that God has placed His law within us, that God has written His law on our hearts because He is our God and we are His people? As I listen to the news each night I do not get the impression that we act as people of God!  In this passage, the Lord God says: “All, from least to greatest, shall know me,…, for I will forgive their evil doing and remember their sin no more.”  Much of what is broadcast to the world in the evening news  is the evil doing of people rebelling against God and one another. Is it time for God to “show [Himself] the master” of us all, “to take [us] by the hand to lead [us] forth from the land of Egypt,” yes, from that place of slavery into which we have fallen: slaves to satanic behavior, slaves to power and control over others, slaves to idolatrous positions, acting as though we humans are gods, not servants of the one True God?

No comments:

Post a Comment