Thursday, August 6, 2015

"Glorious" Memories that Sustain Us in Times of Difficulty



Today we celebrate the feast of the Transfiguration. Imagine being Peter, James or John.  They must have felt special to be chosen to accompany Jesus on this trip up the mountain.  Then all of a sudden they see Jesus in all his glory and Moses and Elijah talking to Him. Peter is so excited that, on impulse, he says whatever comes to his mind. His speech sounds something like this:  “Let’s build three tents here, Lord, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.  Let’s stay up here. This is great.” Then suddenly, a cloud overshadows them and they hear a voice saying: “This is my Son, my Beloved. Listen to Him.” Peter, James and John are overcome with fear. Jesus touches them and says: “Do not be afraid” and they are then alone with Jesus. Together they leave the mountain and Jesus says to them: “Tell no one of the vision until the Son of Man has risen from the death.” The three of them are even more confused: “What does he mean, ‘Rise from the dead,’” they ask themselves privately.

There are events in our lives  that we, too, wish would never end. “Let’s stay here forever.” “I wish we were this joy-filled, peace-filled always,” and so on.  But it is not to be. We do not live on Mount Tabor. Like the apostles, who had to go back down the mountain and join the other nine apostles, including Jesus’ betrayer, and who, within a short time would be with Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, we live, the majority of time, in ordinary time, with its disappointments, losses, setbacks, and tragedies. Jesus’ message to us: “Be not afraid. I am with you always.”
We are given “Tabor” experiences, I believe, to help us through the tough times, as were Peter, James and John, the same apostles Jesus took with Him to the Garden of Gethsemane. Yes, Jesus, prepares us from life’s tragic moments! What a loving, caring, concerned God we have manifested to us in Jesus!

These are some of my thoughts on the Transfiguration. What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. I recently remember my Mount Tabor moment. I lived with all my children and life was good. I was a girlscout leader and my daughter in girlscouts. My son was in boyscouts and as the children retell the experience that we have weekly bbq's the "whole" town would attend (actually only 10-20 of their friends). Life was good and easy. Then we were thrown a hard ball which has had our life in rolling ups and downs for 5 years straight. After this last year ( I call the year from hell while raising two teenagers) and everything that could go wrong did, including me facing criminal charges, seeing a counselor with my whole family, and my children calling me crazy and hating my guts, my mother died unexpectedly. This is when it hit me like a ton of lead bricks: JOB: In each situation, there was nothing I could do to make the situation better. Each option that I had carefully weighed led down a worse path. I prayed and prayed. I talked with friends in the church. Did I mention the counselor (who also went to church), and Father Leo who told me that while I may feel in over my head, I could handle this.
    I do not believe we are given Tabor moments to help us deal with difficult times. I believe God knows our hearts and our strengths and if he brings us to it, he will bring us through it. Job survived and so can I.

    ReplyDelete