Monday, August 10, 2015

Bountiful Sowing, Bountiful Reaping



In today’s first reading, 2 Cor 9: 6-10, St. Paul reminds us that  “those who sow sparingly will reap sparingly, and those who sow bountifully will reap bountifully.  Everyone,” Paul states, “must give according to what he [or she] has inwardly decided; not sadly, not grudgingly, for God loves a cheerful giver. God can multiply his favors among you so that you may always have enough of everything and even a surplus for good works…”  

How willing am I to give generously? To sow bountifully? Or am I stingy with my time, my energy, my giving, my getting involved?   Do I give 100%/150% to relationship building in marriage, in community life, in the parish? Do I assume responsibility for chores/tasks within my home (whether in marriage or in religious life) or do I hold back, not seeing what needs to be done and doing it, and then wondering why things are not going well for me? I may think that I have no energy, no time. Is it because I am wrapped up in my selfishness, my stinginess? By sowing sparingly, am I not, in fact, denying myself the favors God can and will multiply? Is it because of my lack of generosity that I am not discovering that I have "more than enough of everything and even a surplus of energy for good works" within my marriage, within community living, within my parish or civic community?  

We may have wondered where the generous person-- the person involved in helping the parish, in serving the poor,  in doing all one does for one’s family or one’s religious community—gets the time and energy to  do all he/she does.  The answer: “God can multiply his favors among you so that you may always have enough of everything and even a surplus for good works.” 

I have a choice to "sow sparingly" or "to sow bountifully." Which choice will I make today?

No comments:

Post a Comment