Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"Get hold of yourselves"



Today’s Scripture readings, Numbers  12: 1-13 and Mt. 14: 22-36, give us lots upon which to reflect.  In the first reading we read about Miriam and Aaron complaining about their brother Moses and expressing their jealousy, God confronting them and then punishing them for their sinfulness, and Aaron and Moses begging for God’s mercy toward Miriam, who was struck with leprosy for her part in the sinful behaviors.  

In the Gospel, we are presented with the disciple’s “losing it,” when they see Jesus walking on the turbulent waters, believing He is a ghost, while Peter challenges Jesus to bid him come to him, if it is really He. Peter starts out bravely, then as he encounters the strong winds, gets scared and begins to sink. Jesus reaches out his hand and saves him.  Jesus rebukes the disciples, saying to them: “Get hold of yourselves” and says to Peter, as he is sinking, “How little faith you have!...Why did you falter?”

You and I are each of the characters in today's readings:  at times, Miriam and Aaron complaining about and jealous of others; Moses and Aaron begging for mercy; the disciples losing their cool, becoming frantic, anxious, believing in “ghosts” when Jesus is actually present in the disguise they misnamed; Peter, boldly setting out at God’s invitation to take the risk and then losing faith when he encountered difficulties.

Lord, over and over again, I find myself complaining about something as were Aaron and Miriam. Over and over again I find myself in turbulent waters caused by the "storms" I encounter and you bid me to come to You, to believe in You walking those same waters with me, there to save me when I sink.  Over and over again You say to me, as You said to the disciples in the boat, “Get hold of yourself. It is I. Do not be afraid.” Strengthen me when my faith is weak. Calm me when I am losing it. Encourage me when I am faltering. Save me when I am sinking. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.


This is my experience. What is yours? This is my prayer, what is yours?

1 comment:

  1. We need these reminders and reflections. Thank you, Sr. Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete