Saturday, July 11, 2015

Joseph's Intimacy with God

In today's first reading, Gen 49:  29-32; 50: 15-26a, Joseph's brothers are fearful that, given their father's death, that their brother Joseph will seek revenge because of their cruelty towards him.  Living deeply his personal faith in God and being a God-centered person, Joseph says to them when they voice their fears to him: "Have no fear. Can I take the place of God? Even though you meant harm to me, God meant it for good to achieve his present end, the survival of many people. Therefore have no fear. I will provide for you and your children."

What an example we have in Joseph. He lives in God, with God and for God. God lives in him, works with him and is for him.  God protected Joseph in Egypt. Joseph, in turn, protects his brothers and their families. In his eyes, all is from God. All is about God. All is to be given back to God and others! He lives his life in that way. He relates to his brothers and others in that way as well.

Do my behaviors and attitudes, like Josephs, reveal that I am I living with God, in God and for God? Or do I function here on earth as though I exist apart from God? Am I living as though my life is outside of God? Can a fish live outside of water? Do I act without God? Can a fish act outside of water?

Joseph expresses his intimacy with God in the words: "Even though you meant harm to me, God meant it for good."  God means everything for good and functions that way in your life and mine, even when you and I are unaware of God's doings in our lives. Yes, my life and yours is from God, for God, with God and in God! May we grow in that awareness and truly live!

No comments:

Post a Comment