Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Personal, Caring God

In today's first reading for Ordinary time, Ex 3: 11-20, God  says to Moses: "Go and assemble the elders of Israel, and tell them: ...I am concerned about you and about the way you are being treated in Egypt; so I have decided to lead you up out of the misery of Egypt."

God is a personal, caring God. He cares for each one of us as individuals. He sees what we are going through  in good times and bad times. God rejoices in our triumphs; weeps in our downfalls or when we are being mistreated and/or abused in any way.  Many times, the abuse or verbal put downs come from ourselves. Many times, we are harsher toward ourselves than anyone else is towards us.  Nothing is good enough. Nothing is perfect enough. "I could have done better, acted smarter, been more prudent, wiser, kinder, and on and on and on.  Many times, we can't say no to anything asked of us.  "I've got to do that; it is my responsibility," we reason to ourselves as we pile on demands as though we are super moms, super women,  superior organizers, a competent this or that or the other thing!   Letting up does not occur to us. When we even think of being good towards ourselves, taking time for ourselves, following a passion that would interrupt our regular routines and expectations of ourselves, we  often choose to remain on the tread mill of super-mom, super-community member, super coordinator. 

"I am concerned about you and about the way you are...[treating yourself] so I have decided to lead you up out of the misery of [your "Egypt"]," says the Lord, our God, our Savior. "I have made you for myself, to be all you can be for Me, Your Creator God. I did not create you to be everything for everyone nor did I create you to be the rock that keeps everything else from crumbling." That is my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment