Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Jesus' Humility and Obedience



In today’s first reading, Phillippians 2: 5-11, Paul reminds us that Jesus became a slave for us. To whom was Jesus a slave? To God the Father, who sent him into the world, not to condemn it but to save it.  Jesus was obedient to the Father unto death, teaching us to follow the same path. In His humility, as the Son of God, Jesus did not cling to His equality with God. He left the realms of heaven, came to earth taking on our humanity to show us the way to the Father, the way of obedience to the Father’s guidance through the power of the Holy Spirit, the way of love by laying down His life for the sake of each human being.

As a woman religious, I have vowed obedience, the obedience modeled by Jesus. I believed, and believe, deeply that the Father communicates His will for me through my superiors, my fellow Sisters, the Church, the Constitution of my religious community and, yes, within myself as well. Priests believe the will of God for them is communicated through their bishop. There is a security in this, though never easy. I also have to learn day by day that the Spirit directs me even in the smallest of things, in the most insignificant of decisions: “write that letter”, “ call that person”, “ leave your office and go home so you are on time for communal prayer, a communal meal, and spending time with your sisters,” “stop playing card games on your iPad and do spiritual reading, consciousness exam, and pray compline.”  How willing am I to become a slave for Jesus’ sake, being obedient to the Spirit’s lead?  How willing are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment