Friday, November 21, 2014

Delighting in the Precepts of the Lord



In today’s first reading, Rev. 10: 8-11, John is instructed to “…take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.” He was told to eat it, that it would be sweet to the palate but sour in his stomach.  God’s decrees, in the honeymoon stage of our faith development tastes sweet. In the early stages of being married, being incorporated into religious life, in the beginning of our careers, we will do anything for the Lord, anything for our spouses, anything for our employers. Nothing is held back. Eventually, what tasted sweet to the palate turns sour in our stomach. We may begin to hold back, lose our fervor.  In Chapter 3 of Revelation, the angel of the Church in Laodicea, told the people that “you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.” Satan delights in our wavering faith, in our lukewarmness, as he prowls this earth seeking souls to destroy. Will I be deceived by Satan’s allurements and lose my original fervor? What do I need to do be reigniting my fervor, my love, my delight in the Lord? What efforts am I willing to take to fall in love with the Lord again, to rekindle my love for my spouse, to recommit to religious life and its total giving of self to loving God, loving other and serving without counting the cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment