Sunday, November 16, 2014

God-given Talents Used Well

Today's Gospel presents the parable of the talents: one person was given 5 talents and made 5 more, another 2 and earned 2 more and one person given 1 talent and, out of fear, buried it.  What do I do with the talents the Lord has given me? To I develop them and thus add skills to my life and increase my ability to be of service, to build up the Kingdom of God or do I bury my talents, do nothing with them, withdraw out of fear or, blame others or situations for the situation I am in, find excuses for my lethargy, inactivity, my sitting on the sidelines while life passes me  by? The choice is mine to make. If I choose to share my talents and thus gain more, I will experience the happiness of the Master. If I do otherwise, I will wallow in the pit of self-pity, continue to feel deprived, sinned against, and unhappy with life.


"Blessed are those," the responsorial Psalm (128) states, who fear the Lord," that is, who reverence the Lord and give back by developing the talents God has given him/her, "who walk in the way of the Lord." That way, we know from the Scriptures, is being fully involved in life, as Jesus and Mary were, being engaged in relationships in such a way that people's lives are transformed, healed, forgiven, made whole, supported by the assistance I can give and the joy I spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment