Monday, March 10, 2014

Be holy as I, the Lord Your God, am holy

Today's first reading, Leviticus 19: 1-2, 11-18,  opens with: "Be hold, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy."  This counsel follows with a set of "shall-nots."  If we change the "shall nots" to positive behaviors that lead to being transformed into God image, into the image of the Trinity, the text might read as follows:

"Be holy, for I, the Lord your God, am holy":

  • Respect the goods/the possessions of others.

  • Be honest in all your relationships with them.

  • Speak the truth about  and to others. Be affirming of the good within and performed by them.

  • Honor God's name.

  • Be generous and just with others.

  • Be helpful, caring and compassionate toward the deaf, the blind, and those handicapped in any way.

  • Judge others fairly.

  • Be inclusive and treat all persons alike: the weak and the strong, the rich and the poor, males and females; this culture, this sexual orientation, this religion or another.

  • Assist others especially when their lives are at stake.

Do all this for I am the Lord and God of all. I am the One who created and sustains the existence of each person as each progresses in holiness, learns to reject Satan, and builds my Kindom on earth as in heaven.

In this passage, what, in particular, is God calling me to this Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment