Monday, October 14, 2013

The Lesson Jesus Teaches in Today's Scripture

Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites that they had significantly strayed from the Holy One of Israel, that they had offended God and needed to return to Him. God was offering them the opportunity to repent and return to the right path. Jonah is also communicating indirectly that God deeply cared about the Ninevites' eternal welfare, about their well-being.  God did not want to see them lost for all eternity.

In today's Gospel, Luke 11:29-32,  Jesus reminds us that Someone/Something greater than Jonah is here. Something is happening in our midst that is greater than what happened in Nineveh.  The Kingdom of God is here, right here, right now!  God sent His Son Jesus from heaven to earth--does so in every liturgy of the Mass which we Catholics attend weekly/daily.  Truly a greater one than Jonah is here. Yes, someone also much wiser than Solomon, whom the queen of the south "came from the ends of the earth" to hear is in our midst, Jesus reminds us. 

If we are asking for/looking for a sign of God's Presence, no sign will be given us other than Jonah. For what/for whom am I looking?  For what sign am I looking?  Am I seeking Jesus?  Am I seeking Jesus' wisdom in the Scriptures, in the Mass/the sacred liturgy, the Eucharist, in the events of my day, in the innocence of toddlers, the wisdom of children, adolescents, young adults, elderly, the homeless, the sick, the infirm, those living in poverty, those sharing their wealth with others in need, in anyone God sends into my life today?

Have I found God in my life or am I looking elsewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment