Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sharing our Goodness

In today's first reading, Nehemiah  8: 1-4a, 5-6, 7b-12,  Ezra, a priest and a teacher, assembles all of the people to a renewal of their commitment to the one, true God, to learn the meaning of the Torah--the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures or the Old Testament--to worship God and share their goodness with each other.  From daybreak until midday they listen attentively to Ezra.  From the Chosen People--and we, too, are chosen, especially blessed members of the New Covenant that God has made with us through Christ Jesus--we learn the importance of setting time aside to be taught, to listen to God's Word, to worship and share our goodness with each other.  What excuses do I make to avoid doing so or to what extremes do I go to reduce the time I set aside for God alone, for communal worship, for sharing my faith and goodness with other parishioners, family members or members of my religious community?  "I'm too busy!" "Why do I have to go to Church on Sunday; I worship God privately!" "I don't believe in this religion stuff!"  "I'm fine the way I am; don't bother me. Leave me alone."  "Mind your own business and I will mind mine."  Any of those sound familiar?

"Rejoicing in the Lord must be your strength," the prophet Nehemiah tells the people.  May we, too, experience the strength of rejoicing in the Lord in communion with fellow worshippers who gather each weekend to keep holy the Lord's day and, many of whom, gather for daily worship as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment