Friday, September 27, 2013

Greater Will Be the Future Glory of this House

In today's first reading, Haggai 2: 1-9, Haggai asked the returning Israelites what they see as they look upon the ruins of the Temple built by Solomon.  "Who is left among you that saw this house in its former glory?' he asks. He then challenges them to take courage, to get to "work". He reminds them that God is in their midst.   "One moment yet, a little while, and I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land.  I will shake all the nations, and the treasures of all the nations will come in.  And I  will fill this house with glory, says the Lord of hosts."  Do we believe that the Temple of the Lord will be rebuilt in our midst? that every nation, the world, our churches, our families, our religious communities will be returned  to their original glory? Returning closer to home, do I believe that I will, once again, be filled with my first love--if married, to the love I first felt for my spouse; if in religious life, to the first love I had for my religious community and its mission; do I believe that God is returning me to my first love when nothing was too much to grow in intimacy with the Lord? If I have fallen away from my faith, my trust, my deep love for the Lord and those with whom I share life and ministry, work and play, do believe that God will restore "this house in its former glory," if I am willing to cooperate with Him in doing so? Do I believe in the Lord's promise by the prophet Haggai, that "greater will be the future glory of this house,"  including the future glory of "this house" in eternity when I am clothed with immortality?

No comments:

Post a Comment