Monday, November 14, 2011

What do you want of the Lord

Today's Gospel is the story of Bartimaeus, the blind beggar shouting to Jesus to show him pity. The disciples want Bartimaeus to stop his shouting. But he does not. He persists and Jesus notices and instructs the crowd to tell Bartimaeus to come forward. "What do you want of me," Jesus asks. And Bartimaeus is just as direct: "I want to see." A couple of things, of course: am I as persistent? do I know what I want of Jesus? Does the crowd, or whoever or whatever wants to shut me up or wants me to remain blind, get to me? Do I then withdraw my request, melt into the floorboards or wall, so to speak, and simply give up in despair,  in apathy and/or  lukewarmness? Or do I persevere, knowing who Jesus is and who I am, that is, that I need God's intervention in my life if I am going to see clearly God's coming into my life and my world; if I am going to see clearly that God's Kingdom is imminent in the world of today; if I am going to see clearly what it is God is asking of me as His disciple in making Him and His ways known?

No comments:

Post a Comment