Friday, November 4, 2011

Discernment: what is motivating me?

Part of discerning where a desire originates--is it from God or a force blocking us from doing God's will--is to examine what one's motivation is.  Am I being moved by pride or humility, selfishness or altruism? Do I want to look better than another person or show up the other person?   Am I trying to get ahead? Am I motivated by greed? by anger or revenge? Or do I truly want to be doing what God wants of me as revealed to me in the Gospels? Do I truly want to be serving the Lord and to be of service to others as Jesus was? Am I acting out of love--love for God, love for others, truly loving myself and thus choosing what is best for me (what God is asking of me, choosing life, not death)? In short,how pure is my desire?

Source: Discernment of Spirits by Warren Sazama, SJ, National Religious Vocation Conference, Chicago, IL 60615.

No comments:

Post a Comment