Saturday, January 2, 2021

Remaining in Jesus, as Jesus Remains in Us

 In today's first reading, 1 John 2: 22-28, St. John encourages us to let "what you heard from the beginning remain in you. If what you heard from the beginning remains in you, then you will remain in the Son and in the Father."  What you and I heard from the beginning, at our baptisms, is that Christ is our Savior, follow Him, remain close to Him, worship Him, seek Him always. It was Christ who anointed us at our baptism through the consecrated  hands of the priest.  "[R]emain in him," John says to us in verse 28 of this passage, "so that when he appears we may have confidence and not be put to shame by him at his coming."

I asked the Lord, in prayer, the following question: "How, Lord, do I remain in You?" The answer I received was:

  • Seek Me in prayer.
  • Call upon Me for every decision you make.
  • Come to Me and share your thoughts with Me.
  • Come to Me and talk to Me about what is problematic for you.
  • Seek  My counsel in all matters.
  • Acknowledge your sin before Me.
  • Bring your burdens to Me--tell me what they are!
  • Be grateful for everything because without Me you can do nothing, not even get out of bed in the morning!
WOW! was my response!

St. John, in today's reading, also says to us:  "...[W]hoever confesses the Son has the Father as well."  As I prayed over this passage, I thought of Jesus' prayer before the Last Supper when Jesus prayed that we would  be one with Him as he and the Father are one. Jesus' prayer, certainly, would not go unanswered! And I thanked Him for that prayer. I then heard, in my thoughts, Jesus say to me: "Remain in Us, Dorothy Ann. That is my prayer also for you. I enjoy your company!" 

What is Jesus saying to you, as you reflect upon today's reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment