Monday, January 11, 2021

Does Jesus Reveal Who We Are?

 In today's first reading, Hebrews 1:1-6, St. Paul reminds us of an incredible privilege, namely, that, whereas in the past God spoke to His people through the prophets,  God now speaks to us through His Son, Jesus, "whom he made heir of all things and through whom he created the universe."   He goes on to speak of Jesus as  "the refulgence of  [God's] glory, the very imprint of his being, [and as the one]who sustains all things by his mighty word."  After Jesus had purified us from our sins by His passion, death and resurrection, Paul states the obvious, that is, that Jesus, the Son of God,  "took his seat at the right hand of the Majesty on high, as far superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs." What name is that? The name Son of God!

The Word of God became flesh, assumed human nature in Mary's womb, and suffered and endured what any human being endures, except sin. He, the Son of God, lowered Himself to become one of us, to become human, so that, you and I would become divine, become holy like He is holy, realizing that we are one with the Father as Jesus and the Father are one!  Following Jesus' resurrection when he "took his seat at the right hand of the Majesty on high," we will, Jesus tells us in John 14:20, "understand that I am in my Father and you in me and I in you."   In His priestly prayer before the Last Supper, Jesus prays "May they be one in us, as you are in me and I am in you, so that the world may believe it was you who sent me. I have given them the glory  you gave to me, that they may be one as we are one. With me in them and you in me, may they be so completely one that the world will realize that it was you who sent me, and that I have loved them as much as you loved me."

Oneness with God! Holy as God is holy. Perfected as God is perfect! Compassionate as God is compassionate! 

That is who we are! May we grow in that realization as we age before God and others!





No comments:

Post a Comment