Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Jesus and the Father Working as One

In today's gospel, John 5: 17-30, Jesus speaks about his oneness with the Father and how the two of them work in harmony.  "'My Father is at work until now, so I am at work....Amen, amen, I say to you, the son cannot do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for what he does, the son will do also. For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything that he himself does, and he will show him greater works than these, so that you may be amazed. For just as the Father raises the dead and gives life, so also does the Son give life to whomever he wishes. Nor does the Father judge anyone, but he has given all judgment to the Son.... [H]e gave him power to exercise judgment, because he is the Son of Man.... I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.'"

One of the statements in Jesus' description of his relationship with His Father that touched me deeply is that Jesus' judgments are just because he does not seek his own will "but the will of the one" who sent Him. You and I have also been sent to earth to do the will of our Father!  Is it that our judgments are at times unjust because we are seeking to impose our own wills and are not acting in accord with the will of God for the other person? Most likely in those times, we have  not even consulted God to show us His will!  We may have simply barged ahead to dominate or control the other person!

Notice the opening statement of this Gospel passage: "My Father is at work..., so I am at work!" Do you and I approach our work in that way, with that belief and that attitude? Are you, am I, aware that, as with Jesus, the Father also wants to "show us everything that he himself does"  because of His love for us?




No comments:

Post a Comment