Friday, April 12, 2019

God my Champion; Union with Jesus/God

In the first reading of today's liturgy,  Jeremiah 20: 1-13, the  prophet  cries out to the Lord: "All those who were my friends are on the watch for any misstep of mine. 'Perhaps he will be trapped; then we can prevail, and take our vengeance on him.' But the Lord is with me, like a mighty champion: my persecutors will stumble, they will not triumph. In their failure they will be put to utter shame, to lasting unforgettable confusion...." Jeremiah, of course, was speaking about his own situation but also prophesying, I believe, about Jesus!  The Pharisees, the Scribes and the leaders of the Jewish people were seeking ways to trap Jesus, to find a fault for which they could, in their minds, justify having Him put to death by crucifixion. In today's Gospel, John 10: 31-42, they were convinced that they found that one thing: they accused Jesus of committing blasphemy when he said: "I am the Son of God." How, Jesus asks His accusers, "can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?  If I do not perform my Father's
works, do not believe in me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." 

We know the ending of this story! Jesus is put to death by crucifixion. His denouncers, his persecutors, his executioners, to this very day, carry "utter shame," and their actions have caused "lasting unforgettable confusion" for those who do not believe that Jesus truly is God in human form who, as a human person died on the cross but rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, securing our resurrection to eternal life, as well.

Upon further reflection, I suggest that we ask ourselves the question: Who am I in these Scripture readings? In the first Scripture reading,  am I "Jeremiah" at my wit's end because my every move is being scrutinized to  to see whether or not I make a serious mistake that confirms their suspicions that I am, or have been in fact, involved in criminal activity?  Am I the "Jeremiah" who believes, beyond a doubt, that he is innocent, that God is his champion, and that his persecutors will be put to shame as he himself celebrates his exoneration? Or am I the one persecuting others, looking for something that will justify my desire that the other be brought down?  In the Gospel, am I the person looking to trap Jesus and confirm my belief that Jesus is not who He says He is?  Am I the person who does not see Jesus' works and words revealing that the Father is in Him and He is in the Father?  Am I, like Jesus, doing works and speaking words that reveal the Father in me and in the Father, Jesus in me, and me in Jesus?




No comments:

Post a Comment