Thursday, March 7, 2019

Being Vulnerable in Prayer

In today's Entrance Antiphon, we pray:  When I cried to the Lord, he heard my voice; he rescued me from those who attack me. Entrust your cares to the Lord, and he will support you."

Wow! I had just poured my soul out to the Lord in personal prayer, complaining about a phrase in Sarah Young's book, Jesus Calling, in which, through  her, the Lord says to the reader:  "Let me help you through this day. The challenges you face are far too great for you to handle alone. You are keenly aware of your helplessness in the scheme of events you face" (March 7th).  I felt humiliated by those statements and told Jesus just that! What I heard back in prayer was: Trust me. I am with you. I hold you by your hand. I am at your side. Pause to remind yourself of that fact. Rely on Me. I am standing by waiting for you to seek my help."  I said "thank you," and, in my prayer, the Lord then continued:  Do not put yourself down! Everyone is helpless in face of the day's events in their lives.  You are no exception!  I am your strength. Remember that fact and that I come to you every morning in the Eucharist to give you the strength you need each day, one day at a time."

Then, I read the Entrance Antiphon for today's liturgy and realized that, by trusting my cares to the Lord,  God not only supported me but also rescued me, not from outside attackers, but from myself!

Your experience of God in prayer today?



No comments:

Post a Comment