Sunday, March 31, 2019

A God with Arms Always Open to Embrace Us

In today's Gospel, Luke 14: 1-3, 11-32, Jesus tells the story of the loving father, the prodigal son and the elder brother. Who am I in that story? the prodigal son who squanders the inheritance God has given me, living promiscuously, deceptively, corruptly, slovenly; the elder brother who lives by the letter of the law, does everything right, feels justified, superior to others and gets extremely angry when someone who turns from sin and evil is celebrated?   Do I secretively rejoice at another's misfortune or poor choices saying, when things go wrong for this person, that he or she is getting what is deserved? Do I withdraw and sulk when such a person turns from evil to do good and a party is thrown in his or her honor? Or am I the father/ the person eagerly waiting for the return of the "prodigal" person, running to greet him/her with open arms--no questions asked but, instead, arranging for a big celebration!

The father, in this parable, of course, is God! We are both of the children!  When you and I go astray, make poor choices that create a famine in our lives on all fronts--emotionally, socially, physically, financially, psychologically, spiritually--, as did both sons, God waits and waits and waits. God will wait hourly, weekly, monthly, yearly for our return. No matter how long we separate ourselves from God--from Love, Forgiveness, Intimacy, Reconciliation--God waits to embrace us with open, caring, loving arms, showing us compassion, restoring good fortunes to us, and lavishing us with gifts. The inheritance God has for us is intact!

Lord, open my eyes to Your love, Your compassion, Your generosity, Your longing to embrace me! Whenever I fall or wander off to places where I will encounter famine spiritually, socially, psychologically, emotionally, may I have the humility to come back to you, as did the prodigal son in this parable.  Forgive me, Lord, when I stay away and give up, saying something like:  "What use is it for me to make any changes in my life; it is too late. Anyway, I'm lost. I'm no good. What I have done is unforgivable!" Please, Lord, don't let me stay stuck in those poisonous attitudes and in humility return to you!  I ask this in Jesus' name!  Amen!





    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment