Saturday, July 1, 2017

Jesus' Compassion

The centurion in today's Gospel, Mt 8: 5-17, approaches Jesus and says to Him:  "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." And Jesus replies: "I will come and cure him." The centurion responds immediately and humbly: "Lord, I am to worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant shall be healed."

Several things to which we need to pay attention.First, the centurion's attitude toward his servant, an employee of his.  He treats that servant as his own child. He is empathic, concerned and wants the best for him. He is moved by his servant's suffering and acts on his behalf.  He does not take his servant for granted and does not treat him as inferior to himself. They are equal in God's eyes and in the eyes of the centurion.  He does not lord his authority over him.  Second: The centurion's respect of Jesus. He addresses Jesus as Lord, that is, as one having authority.  He's probably heard, and may have even seen miracles which Jesus has performed on behalf of the sick, of those burdened with long-term debilitating illnesses.   The centurion's faith and trust in Jesus is unshakable. He simply states the problem: "My servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."  Third: Jesus' immediate response to the centurion's trust and faith: "I will come and cure him."  No hesitation!
Fourth: the centurion's humility and recognition of who Jesus is!  O, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter my roof; only say the word and my servant shall be healed!"

What about you and me? How respectful are we of others? How concerned about them when they are in pain? Do we act on behalf of others, going the extra mile, leaving our comfort zones to help
another person?  What about our trust and faith in Jesus as one who heals, as one who has our best interests in mind?  Do we even go to Jesus with our concerns or is He the last person  we think of when facing problems among ourselves, our family, our co-workers and/or employees, or personal problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment